June 3, 2017

Oaklawn Farm Zoo | Aylesford, N.S

On May 13th we saw the first hot day of the year and decided this beautiful, sunny, extremely hot day would be perfect for venturing down to Aylesford (the valley) to Oaklawn Farm Zoo.

Oaklawn Farm Zoo is unique because it's a farm and totally looks like a farm yet they have a mixture of farm animals and zoo animals. You can find pigs and horses and goats and baby rabbits and you can also find lions and tigers and zebras and monkeys. There seems to be a little bit of everything there.

I always feel so torn when visiting zoos and wildlife parks though. I can see at Oaklawn Farm Zoo that they treat the animals incredibly well and there's so much open space on the land (the family even lives right on the farm) but at the same time I always feel sad when I see animals in cages. I guess it's always hard to see the animals as happy when they are locked up huh? Hopefully they are though.



















She was pooped by the end of our trip and happily snuggled her new llama friend (until she decided he looked tasty and started eating his "fur") I love taking Lux new places and allowing her to experience new things. She makes everything we do ten times more fun!

Q. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON ZOOS?


2 comments:

  1. Aww, what a lovely set of animals - that donkey is a right charmer!
    I know what you mean about zoos, it's a tricky one and I can see why people dont like them... though I think (for the most part) zoos have come a long way over the years in terms of habitats and treatment of the animals - they can also play a really valuable part in conservation and breeding.... its quite a personal thing though I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about the conservation aspect of it before but you're right! Makes me feel a bit better about it! Also a lot of the time they take in hurt animals who may not have survived otherwise.

      Delete